That's right. I am a blogger now. After giving it much thought and some pestering from friends, I decided to start a blog to document my adventures in the new world, Massachusetts that is. I am sure as a German, spending the last decade in the Midwest, getting thrown into the New England lifestyle, that will make for some interesting posts. Or not, who knows.
As my first official post, I'll use an update I sent to friends a couple of days ago:
Here is a quick update on life at the East Coast. I started the trip from Peoria on Superbowl Sunday. Since they predicted snowfall in upstate New York, I took a more southern route through, OH, PA, and CT. I stopped Sunday night at Harrisburg,PA to watch the second half of the Superbowl. Sorry Bears fans. I started my trip again on Monday morning and made good progress through CT. I head into Massachusetts and had only 60 miles to go when a block of ice fell from a truck in front of me. I was in the middle lane on a busy interstate with no place to go, so I hit the ice head on. The impact was louder than expected and I knew something was wrong immediately. I looked in the rear view and saw blue smoke coming from my car and as I rolled off the interstate the oil warning light came on. F@!@#$%^!!!!, ONLY 60 MILES TO GO.
Well, long story short, the impact had split my oil-pan wide open. I called AAA, joined, and waited for the tow truck. It only took 30 minutes for the arrival and he drove me right to a VW dealer that was close by, they had the oil-pan and pick-up pipe in stock and fixed the car on the spot, which only took 5 hours to wait and $600 to spare. With a customer lounge and free WiFi, it could have been worse. I made the rental office just in time to claim my apartment. On Tuesday, I waited for the movers and they arrived pretty much on time and I was sitting in an apartment full of boxes. I must say, for all the stories I read about moving companies, my experience was without any problems.
Wednesday was my first workday and it was pretty much standard. Filling out paperwork, meet the new team introduce myself, trying to get the computer up and running.
Besides work I spend the last couple of days organizing the apartment and driving around the area a bit. It is really to bloody cold to do anything outside.
Some observations: Traffic is terrible. I always thought Illinois drivers were the worst, but I admit I was wrong. Not only is everybody drive like they feel like, they also seem to be in absolute love with the sound of their car horn and this love is expressed frequently.
In the morning the drive to work takes me about 14 minutes. In the afternoon it is easy double that time. Also, since we are close to the ocean, there always seems to be a wind going, which cold and annoying now, but I can imaging it will be nice in the summer. Reminds me of the days in Luebeck and and the lakefront in Milwaukee. I am hoping I'll get my phone and internet set-up this week to be fully connected. Right now I am using somebodies WiFi in the building. (Thanks NETGEAR) With all the stuff that happened, I sometime wonder how people did these things without cell phones, internet, or a navi-system.
That's right, I bought a 'nuevi' before the trip to guide me to whatever destination I desire. I set it up with a female Australian voice, because it sounds better than the American one. Every-time the American voice would proclaim 'recalculating' it sounded totally annoyed like "Goosh, you missed the turn again, now I have to go back to the maps and find a new route just because you wouldn't listen when I said:' TURN LEFT ON STATE STREET"' But it has been a valuable tool especially since it looks like that MA can't effort any useful road signs.
Well, so far for the first entry.
Tribute to a leader
11 years ago
Well done getting the blog going. So when can we expect the first podcast listing on iTunes? Try to get it categorized under "Christian" and you'll be in the top 10 straight away.
ReplyDeleteGanz witzig geschrieben ! Aber jetzt hast Du ja immer noch den Jetta, das Eis hätte ruhig mal ordentlich zuschlagen können....
ReplyDeleteGreetings from the old world
Michael W.
Christian,
ReplyDeleteGlad to see you have a blog up like J and Angela. I like hearing about people's adventures and misadventures. Hope you are enjoying MA.
Erin (J's sister not some random freak on the internet)
Na Bruderherz
ReplyDeleteIce belongs into drink not under your "Schnitzelmobil"
Here at the Wupper all is ok other that we already have Spring with temperatures already in the 60ties
Talk to you soon
Andrea und Andreas
Hey Christian, nice blog. This way we can always keep taps on you :-). Post some pictures of your apartment and workplace will you?
ReplyDelete