Thursday, July 30, 2009

Going to Oshkosh

What is this terrible sound in my head?? I was in the deepest dreams, when
this sound of alarm horns goes through my head..... Ah yes, I set my alarm
to the most annoying sound I could find to make sure I would wake up
at 2:30AM. Boy, it is early. After a three hour power nap I had difficulties
waking up, but I had to leave by 3:30AM to catch the ferry to Wisconsin
in Ludington.
I threw my stuff in the car, turned the Garmin Navigator on, and pointed
the Schnitzlewagen westwards. Off we go......

As predicted by the Navigator, I arrive in Ludington around 6:30. The
S.S. Badger was moored at the pier and after check-in I left the car to be driven
onto the ship. You can tell these guys to that all day long, because they
had all cars in the boat in no time and even driving a camper trailer
backwards was not a problem.
The 'Badger' is on old steam ship
from the 50s and was built to haul
rail cars over the lake. Later they
converted it into a car and passenger
ferry, but it still has the look and
feel of an old work horse and
the smoke stack does its name proud.
Although, these days they don't use coal anymore
to heat up the steam engine.

I watched the ship leave the harbor, but after that I was looking for a
comfy chair to get some shuteye. After I rested up a bit, I went to the
back of the ship to stuck my nose into the breeze. NICE.... For some
reason, I always liked being on the open water.
Just for fun I turned on the Garmin and what do you know, it put
our position right in the middle of Lake Michigan doing 16miles/hr.
I typed in my new destination and to my surprise the first instruction
is "leave ferry and turn into main street". Technology is great.

We arrive in Wisconsin to some rain, I get my car back, and
I am headings south. Another couple of hours and I should
make it to Iron Ridge, WI.
Tomorrow, I'll be going to the Oshkosh Air Show, so that should be great.
I'll keep you posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment