Monday, August 3, 2009

Back home

Since I wanted to take the ferry back to Michigan, I decided to take
another boat. The Lake Express is a fast ship going from Milwaukee
to Muskegon in just two hours. Certainly faster than the Badger.
I had booked the last sail of the evening, giving me enough time to
hang out in Milwaukee for a bit. Karl and Kip joined me and we spent
some time at the old stomping grounds. We walked at the
lakefront, wandered through downtown and settled for a nice lunch
at the Rock Bottom. After walking back to the cars I said good bye to
Kip and Karl, who were heading back to Peoria. I still had plenty of
time, before I had to be at the ferry, so I went back to the park, had
a nice coffee at the Art Museum until it was time to make way to the
harbor.
As soon as I hit the parking lot of the ferry terminal, m y cell phone
rang with a prerecorded message from the Lake Express ferry.
They cancelled the trip, due to high waves and winds on Lake
Michigan. Just GREAT! I went inside to ask for my options and it was
either trying to rebook the next day or cancel the ticket and get a refund.
I wasn't really in a mood to wait around, so I decided to drive instead.

After I went back into the car, I programmed the Garmin to take me
home. SUPER... 355miles. Well, what can I do? I really don't like long
drives, especially, when it is late in the day and fatigue is setting in
already. Overall it went pretty smooth. I past Chicago feeling pretty
tired, but as soon as I turned East, I got my second wind.
As soon as I hit Michigan, the speed limit changed to 70 and I made
faster progress. I arrived back in Novi in the early morning.

Overall it was a great Mini-vacation.

No comments:

Post a Comment