It looks like the winter has thrown us another curve ball. After a nice couple of days, we got hit on Friday by a winter storm with a couple inches of snow, blowing wind and snarling traffic. It generally referred as a 'Norestern'. So, since there was not much to do outside, I went to see a movie. There is a smaller theater nearby, that plays older movies and smaller independent ones. The theater looks like it has been stuck in the 80's, but that gives is a unique touch. Kinda reminded me of some great movie experiences I had in the past.... "Karniggels" in the Deli III, 'Pulp Fiction" in Luebeck, or 'Star Wars" in the Oriental in Milwaukee. Good times.
Today, I watched the oscar winning German movie "Das Leben der Anderen". Great film about the East German secret police and how it spied on their own people. The movie is interesting in a sense that in the beginning the main character still believes that his 'police' work and wire tapping is the right thing to do. Through the movie he finds out that the cause gets corrupted because others use the system of spying and black-mailing for personal gain. One can find similarities with the witch trials in Salem or the way the "war" on terror is being conducted. Deep thoughts.... Nevertheless, I thought it was an excellent movie.
Tribute to a leader
11 years ago
I see you've added a little movie sidebar. I agree with your 2.5 for Capote--don't really get what all the fuss was about. Another unworthy movie: "Flags of Our Fathers". But I've heard Clint does better in the second one.
ReplyDeleteI'm enjoying having any artsy cinema in town while I can. I will miss that in Peoria.