Sunday, March 11, 2007

Salem Stroll

Finally! This weekend it was warm enough to explore Salem for a bit. I started at the harbor at Derby Wharf, where the Friendship of Salem is moored to the docks. The ship is a replica of Salem East Indian from 1797 and it certainly makes for a great site. Salem is mostly famous for their witch trials and early trade around the world and it certainly shows. The town has a lot of brick buildings telling of older times. It has a very European feel to it. If you walk the tiny streets it almost feels like walking through Luebeck. They also have their share of architectural nightmares. The power plant that sits next to the historic harbor must have been build before Salem made a living out of tourism, just awful. Unfortunately, I didn't bring my camera, so I'll post some pictures later, once I take some. ;-)
Speaking of tourism. Salem certainly has adopted the witchcraft theme, every second store is about witches, haunted houses, and everything spooky. It's a bit much for my taste, but hey, if it brings the crowd, whatever works. All in all it was a nice stroll through the neighborhood.

Closer to home, I finally put up pictures,
so at least the living room is done. The set-up is pretty much the same as in my old place. I still need to add some lighting and I also need to buy some furniture for the bedrooms. It's process and it will take some time. The apartment is on the second floor, so it's nice to look out the window and see a tree, instead of a parking car, like in Peoria.

2 comments:

  1. I can imagine the Sauerland xmas: "Thanks A LOT Christian... more witch stuff"

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can only imagine the amount of tourist dollars flowing into the city, based on the tragic fate of 24 people.

    ReplyDelete