Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Its a Derby!

Since I went to Toluca for business and not just for the pure fun of it,
I have to make the journey from the hotel to GM and back. The first days,
I was driving with Jim, since he was brave enough to rent a car down here.
But he went off to Mexico City to test his driving skills there, leaving me with
the only reasonable choice to get a cab. Fine, no problem. So, as I was
leaving GM tonight, I got lucky that a cab just pulled up to unload some
passengers. My customer was gracious enough the explain to the cab driver
where I needed to be and off we go. The cab was an older style VW Derby,
the back seat was covered with a solid piece of hard foam for 'extra' comfort.
The open windows provided the air conditioning and extra aroma while standing
next to a truck at a traffic light. Although, a traffic light is just a suggestion here.
So while we are zipping through intersections, I am trying to guess my chances
of survival, in case we get hit by a car, truck or bus. Luckily, the cab driver knows
his way around and we driving trough side roads towards the hotel. Traffic in
Toluca is chaotic and I am glad I am not trying to drive myself. After I had
my feet on solid ground again, I was trying to think back the last time I had
such an 'exciting' cab ride. The only other time I can remember was taking
a cab in Prague at night, in an old Russian car, where the driver was trying to
prove, how fast he can go and that brakes are really an optional accessory in
a car.
Ah well, tomorrow is my last day at GM and Thursday I am heading back
to wintry Michigan.

No comments:

Post a Comment